Sophie was diagnosed with a brain tumor in February 2011 and turned 8 on the operating table. She received proton beam radiation in Indiana and received chemotherapy treatment at Upstate Golisano Hospital in Syracuse, NY.
Sophie was the youngest of three girls who attended Stonehedge Elementary school. She loved to read, cook, watch iCarly and Wizards of Waverly Place. She liked listen to Justin Bieber and Sugarland. She showed cows with her 4-H group – The Moo Crew, she played ice hockey, had a great sense of humor. She was a girly girl who loved to paint her nails and play dress up. Sophie loved life and lived every minute to the fullest. Sophie had a remarkable amount of faith that was demonstrated through her ability to accept the new path her life had taken when she was diagnosed with her brain tumor. She was truly inspirational, not only to those who knew her in person, but also to those who knew her through her story.
Unfortunately, Sophie passed away surrounded by her family at home in January of 2012 two weeks shy of her 9th birthday.
We understand that obstacles can often get in the way of pursuing one’s dreams, which is why we would like to give back to an individual (s) who has been able to overcome a serious obstacle in his or her life and use it as an opportunity to learn and grow. This can be any obstacle that greatly impacted your life. For example, being in a serious accident, overcoming an illness, struggling with a parent or close family member illness etc. Whatever the obstacle may have been, we are proud of you for overcoming such a challenge.
Sophie’s Giving Tree will provide financial assistance to a to deserving West Genesee High School graduating senior(s) who has demonstrated integrity and perseverance to overcome adversity in their life, how they overcame that challenge, the impact it had on them, how they have or will use what they learned throughout the process to help others, who aspires to pursue higher education either at a college/university or trade school. Sophie would have been a part of the West Genesee 2021 graduating class, this scholarship was created in her memory.
Deadline for scholarship applications is April 6, 2021
If you have any questions about the application, please email email@example.com
To be eligible to apply for the Sophie’s Giving Tree Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must have demonstrated integrity and perseverance to overcome adversity in their life
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior at West Genesee High School, progressing normally toward graduation, and planning to enter a college, university, or trade school no later than the fall following graduation
- Be involved in extra-curricular and/or community activities
- Demonstrate academic achievement (minimum grade point average of 2.0)
Requirements to Receive Scholarship Money:
- Student will inform Sophie’s Giving Tree of the college, university, or trade school they chose to enroll in by August 1, 2021
- Student will provide an unofficial transcript from the college, university, or trade school they chose to attend no later than December 1, 2021
Applicant must submit the following items:
- Completed application form
- Personal Essay
- Names and contact information for two letters of recommendation from someone outside of immediate family such as a coach, employer or individual with significant knowledge of applicant’s experience with dealing with adversity. Sophie’s Giving Tree will contact on applicants behalf.
- Most recent unofficial high school transcript with cumulative grade point average